Thursday, September 23, 2010

Homekeeper's Journal - Long Suffering

This week, over at christianhomekeeper.org we are writing about long suffering.

In the Bible there are two words that are used in the New Testament which talk about Patience.
There is, of course, patience. And then there is Long-suffering. We don’t like that word much because our very nature seems to be repulsed by it… 
Long-suffering

.
Suffering … Long.
Suffering a lonnnnnnng time.
But it isn’t just any kind of suffering Long-suffering is talking about. Patience is what we seek when we have a trying situation to go through. Long-Suffering is what we need when we are dealing with people.
Long-suffering means that we have patience with people.
God expects that we will have difficult people in our lives and He knows that it will sometimes be painful. So He calls us to suffer a long time with people, be patient with them, while He is working out His plan in our lives and in their lives.
How can we refuse to be Long-suffering with others when we know how long God has suffered with our own foolishness?
This week’s Homekeeper’s Journal is all about Long-suffering ….

God has worked in my life regarding patience and long-suffering in these ways ………… God allowed me to be born with a disability. It's been a blessing, although I don't always see it as one. It has made me cultivate a deeper relationship with God. I don't even know if I'd be a Christian if I didn't have Cerebral Palsy. I've had opportunities through dealing with my disability to meet people and do things that I may not have gotten to do if I weren't. I think God has allowed me to have a different view on the world through my disability. I have patience and strength that I know can only come from God.

The hardest part of showing long-suffering is ………
When others don't understand and may not be showing patience and/or expecting me to do or be something I can't. OR when people try to overdo or help. It is hard sometimes to let people help.
The most rewarding part of showing long-suffering is ………..Making connections with people and realizing that they are getting a glimpse of God working through you.
The one kind situation that I have the most trouble showing long-suffering in is ………Living with physical pain. That's sound a little contradictory to talk about pain and long suffering, but when I'm in more pain it's harder to be patience and it's harder to provide the love and care I need to. I don't want my problems to effect their lives, but, of course they do. Then I feel guilty and have angry, which usually stresses my body and causes more pain, and also causes stress within the relationship.
I see how kindness goes hand in hand with long-suffering because ………. When you see someone helping someone out in total peace and kindness. The don't make them feel stress or like they're a burden. They have a willing spirit and a joyful heart.
I want others to show long-suffering to me when ………I cannot repay their kindness. When I'm stressed to the max.
God shows long-suffering to me in these ways ………..He gives me grace and forgiveness. He loves me unconditionally and carries me when I can't go on any further.
Ephesians 4:1-4 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
Ephesians 4
Unity and Diversity in the Body of Christ
 1 I, therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, (A) urge you to walk worthy of the calling you have received, 2 with all humility (B) and gentleness, with patience, (C) accepting (D) [a] one another in love,(E3 diligently keeping the unity (F) of the Spirit (G) with the peace(H) that binds [us]. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, (I) just as you were called to one hope (J) [b] at your calling;

This week I will begin to ask God to ……….. to give me patience with others especially Barrett and the kids and to show me the thing that are really importaint in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so mush for visiting The Crippled Mama. I love comments!

Powered By Blogger