Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why I Blog



A couple of days ago I was sorta  attacked because of the way I blog.  I love to write.  It's my poral.  It's a way for me to express what I'm thinking and feeling.  When I was little I loved to read Judy Blume's books.  Then it hit me; I could write.  Being a kid where most of my peers were involved physically activities that I couldn't participate in. So I used writing as my outlet.  I don't write to express self-pity.  I want to share my journey with others.  No too many disabled women -not too many women period get the opportunity to marryPublish Post the true love of their life, have  two wonderful babies and get to fulfill God's will in my  life.  I know I'm blessed and I'm very thankful...I'm also very human.  I do struggle with depression  and at times   it may creep into a self-pity party.  This is a sin which I constantly battle.  I'd like  to encourage   others to live out to be who  God wants them to be.   
       I also wanted to comment on why I chose "The Crippled Mama", as a person whom I don't know. questioned  how I could possible have chosen this as my blog name.  First of all, let's define the word "cripple".  According to dictionary.com,  cripple is:
n
1.
offensive  a person who is lame
2.
offensive  a person who is or seems disabled or deficient insome way: a mental cripple
3.
dialect  ( US a dense thicket, usually in marshy land
— vb
4.
tr to make a cripple of; disable
[Old English crypel;  related to crēopan  to creep Old Frisiankreppel  a cripple, Middle Low German kröpel ]

      Many people think of "cripple" as a very old
fashioned word.  This was almost seen as a "four letter word" when I was growing up.  I hated being called crippled, disabled, handicapped are any other word they would describe me as being "not normal".  More than one of my brothers got involved in a fight because I was refereed to as "crippled".  If you'd had told me years ago I'd have a blog called "The Crippled Mama", I'd said you were crazy.  However, when I started this blog last September, I wanted a title that would invoke the main aspects of my life; my being a wife and mama and my having a disability.   When I chose the name of my blog,  I chose on that I thought would stick out and attract people,  not to gain sympathy from anyone.  As a writer,    I have a deep love for words and the power of them.  Yes words can be used to hurt people.  But words in themselves can't hurt people  The word "crippled"by itself doesn't hold a positive nor a negative stance.  I can hurt people by the way I use it and others can hurt me by the way they use it towards me.  But at the end of the day, its just a word.  How I use it and receive and choose to react to it reflects my heart and my  character. 

2 comments:

  1. Never let anyone tell you how to use your outlet or what to name it. This is your own way of gaining power over a word that hurt you. It worked, because I was drawn to it. I wanted to hear your story when I clicked over from the Ultimate Blog Party and I am glad that I did. It's really nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read your story also when I clicked over from the UBP11. One thing I've learned about blogging so far is that unfortunately, there are always going to be people that have problems with what people do or say, but you also have a bunch of equal people that are supportive and understanding and caring. Don't worry about the haters and the easily offended. This is your blog, and it's inspiring to hear what you have to say!
    *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so mush for visiting The Crippled Mama. I love comments!

Powered By Blogger